The Braid Bowling Club was founded in 1890 by the feudal superiors, the Gordons of Cluny as part of the development of what is known as the Braid Estate. For over 100 years the activities of the Braid Bowling Club, and the adjacent, Braid Tennis Club have been overseen by a Committee of Management made up of householders of the Braid Estate. The Committee is currently under the able Chairmanship of Dr.Iain Davidson.
The Braid Bowling Club, one of the oldest in Edinburgh, is situated in most beautiful surroundings at Midmar in the lee of Blackford Hill. The Green is acknowledged to be one of the best playing surfaces in Edinburgh. The famous Dr.W.G.Grace played here as captain of the English team in the Home International series of 1908.
The Club has very active Men’s and Ladies Sections. Currently the Club has some 145 playing members. As well as friendly matches and informal games, a full programme of competitive ties is held throughout the playing season which extends from mid-April to the end of September. The Club also plays in a wide range of external competitive fixtures. The Men’s 1st XVI is currently in League 4 of the Edinburgh and Leith Bowling Association. Amongst our playing members is David McGill, a former Scottish Internationalist and Singles’ Champion.
The Club has vacancies for new members, particularly men. Bowls and shoes are available and there is free coaching from qualified national coaches for anyone who would like to test their skills.
Bowls is a very sociable game and one that spans a wide age gap. Our Men’s First XVI recently played a League match against our neighbours at Whitehouse and Grange. A player in his 91st year represented the Braid while our opponents fielded a 13 year old.
The subscription is £125 for both men and women and we have around 130 playing members. You can be assured of a very warm welcome.
Please see our website at www.braidbc.co.uk