Edinburgh Transition now has a local group – Edinburgh Deep South – for Fairmilehead, Oxgangs, Colinton and Firrhill. The Transition Towns movement takes as a starting point the assumption that the Age of Cheap Oil is over. It follows that changes in how we live are inevitable. It is not all doom and gloom, we could create lifestyles that are better than the ones we have now
Edinburgh Deep South invites anyone who is concerned about climate change, peak oil with rising fuel costs and rising food prices to join us. We will have a public meeting on November 26, 7.30 at the Pentland Community Centre, Oxgangs Brae. Future meetings will probably be there too – look out for notices in Oxgangs and Colinton Libraries, and in local shops. The meetings will focus on what people want to do to build a vigorous, resilient community, ready to face the challenges ahead, and to support each other. We are just at the beginning of this process, so you will be in at the start and your ideas will be important.
So far we have discussed:
– Finding a space to grow food locally – to reduce transport emissions, to be less dependent on others, for health and for enjoyment
– Creating a system through which people can refill containers of washing up and laundry liquids – to reduce waste of plastic bottles
– Toy swaps, children’s nearly new clothes sales, and magazine swaps/loans – all to reduce waste
– Car sharing – to start to deal with our addiction to cars and use less fossil fuel
– Pressing for a better bus service, especially no18 and night buses – to reduce our own car emissions and further support the possibility of using cars less.
There are many other possibilities for practical action, campaigning and sharing information. Come and enjoy the company of like minded people, you will be in at the start of creating a good future for the next generation as well as for ourselves.